Packing everything you will need for the next 7 months into a backpack & carry-on is a difficult task to say the least. I once thought in my solo travels that I traveled light but I used a large suitcase & a carry-on. This time due to prospective hiking expeditions on our journey hubby wanted us to use backpacking backpacks. Now these are not small packs, mine is 45liters so I could not carry more on my back even if I wanted to but it is smaller than a wheeled suitcase. All in all we ended up packing 1 backpack each a carry-on each & a small personal item each + 1 pelican case containing our computer. It is also a difficult thing to go from traveling solo to traveling as a couple & many of the things we packed are not things I would have brought on my own so I am hoping that as we learn to travel together we learn to minimize together.
Below is a list of things we packed. Do to our photography needs we have packed many more electronics than most will but I will provide the list so that you can decide what is applicable for your situation.
We are very athletic so we chose to bring items that would be more versatile to allow us to have our workouts as well as daily life without packing multiples of everything.
- enough under clothes for a week
- 5-6 t-shirts
- 4 coldgear Under Armor
- 2 pair of jeans
- 2 leggings
- 1 swimsuit
- 1 pair tri-shorts
- 1 bike jersey
- 1 nice dress/sweater
- running shoes
- 2 hoodies
- winter coat
- socks for about a week
- 1 small towel
Looking at this list I now see things I could have done without but that will sort itself out as we travel.
- Bar of soap (Pack a bar not liquid so that liquid requirements are bypassed on the plane and it is much easier to pack as you aren’t afraid it will leak.)
- Deoderant (I suggest packing extra deoderant as well because depending on where you are traveling it is not always an easy thing to find. Put one small one in your carry-on. After a 24 hour flight it’s nice to be able to freshen up a bit.
- toothbrush/travel toothpaste(carry-on)
- sunscreen or foundation for the ladies (Its best to get over your grand makeup routine now. You won’t be able to take it all with you and honestly you prob won’t bother in many situations anyways. A decent moisturizer with spf and a good chapstick will go a long ways. If you want to be able to add a bit then choose one neutral eye shadow & matching eye pencil and that’s it.)
- toenail clippers & tweezers (checked luggage only)
- travel size shampoo/conditioner if you do not think you will have them where you stay.
- Prescription meds (carry-on)
- DISCLAIMER – many can get by with only a tablet/laptop & small camera, the following list is large due to our personal photo/video & editing requirements for where we are going.
- 3 versatile lenses for the DSLR.
- computer with editing capabilities (this time we brought our 27′ iMac, we are now saving for a macbookpro to minimize the size.)
- Wacom tablet
- small laptop
- ipod to run with
- chargers for all items
- Book/Bible (I’m attempting to transition these to all electronic but there are a few that I like to keep on me as well)
It can be daunting trying to pack for a long trip in such little luggage but it can be done & as we continue I’m sure our items will become less and less as always happens because you quickly find out what you need & what you can easily do without. I hope this helps you to better organize when you are preparing to travel.